Who doesn’t love Moroccan spices! I am always drawn to anything that even hints at Moroccan flavours … and when you throw in yummy cheeses like feta, then you have got me!
This is a great salad that keeps well for up to three days in the fridge. It can be eaten on its own, but compliments meat and chicken dishes beautifully with its delightful “crunch”.
With all the carrots to be chopped for this recipe, it is wonderful to have a Thermomix to help! I have chosen to chop the dates, shallots and coriander (and mint if preferred or a combination of both) by hand as I wanted them chunky for texture, and for that most important “chew”.
I didn’t use the pistachios due to nut allergy in my family, but they would be a definite winner in this dish. For nut free use a combination of toasted pepitas and sunflower seeds which also add a great crunch.
- 60g olive oil
- 1 lime – zest and 30g lime juice - see NB below
- 1 lemon – zest and 30g lemon juice - see NB below
- NB: you only need 60g combined citrus juice for the dressing, so save the extra to use later in another dish
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 500g carrots, peeled weight, cut into chunks (about 5 medium)
- 425g tin chick peas, drained
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted and sliced
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced ... use green part too
- 60g coriander, coarsely chopped (or use mint if preferred)
- 100g toasted pistachios (or toasted pepitas and sunflower seeds for nut free option)
- 200g crumbled feta (use half for salad, and half for topping)
- Place all the dressing ingredients into TM bowl and mix 10 seconds / speed 10
- Set aside in a small jug … do not wash TM bowl
- Place carrots into TM bowl and chop 3 seconds / speed 5 … check consistency and if you prefer it finer, chop for a further 1 second / speed 5
- Place carrot into a large mixing bowl
- Add chick peas, dates, shallots, coriander and / or mint, pistachios (or seeds) and dressing into mixing bowl and stir through thoroughly
- Add half the feta (keep half to sprinkle on before serving) and stir lightly
- Serve immediately with the extra feta sprinkled on top, or place into fridge and use within three days.
This is a great salad that keeps well for up to three days in the fridge.
It can be eaten on its own, but compliments meat and chicken dishes beautifully with its delightful “crunch”.
The carrots are chopped in a Thermomix, and I have chosen to chop the dates, shallots and coriander by hand as I wanted them chunky for texture, and for the most important “chew”.