Toasting seeds is a great way of bringing out their flavour so I generally use toasted seeds for both sweet and savoury dishes.
In the fridge I always have two jars: one with a mix of toasted pepitas and sunflower seeds, and the other with toasted buckwheat kernels, as they make a great snack and are a fabulous way of adding a little extra protein to salads and other veggie dishes. They also keep very well in a sealed glass container.
Occasionally I also toast sesame seeds, but as we have a sesame seed allergy in the family I don’t do this often as I can’t use them regularly in our meals.
Hemp seeds can also be toasted and provide another great protein addition to just about any meal you wish to sprinkle them on to.
Regardless of what seeds I am toasting this is my process, and it is so simple and easy to do …
- Seeds of choice: Pepitas, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, buckwheat kernels, or sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees fan forced
- Fill a large baking tray with a mix of pepitas and sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, buckwheat kernels or sesame seeds
- Place tray into the oven for 5 minutes
- Remove the tray and stir the seeds around
- NB: If it is larger seeds like pepitas and sunflower seeds it will take a bit longer to colour so return the tray to the oven for 4 minutes, watch them carefully and stir them around again, then continue at 2 minute intervals until done to your liking ... timing will all depend on your oven
- NB: If it is smaller seeds like buckwheat kernels, sesame or hemp seeds they may be ready after the initial 5 minutes … what you are looking for are the seeds to take on a golden colour so if they need more time, stir them around and then return to the oven for 2 minute intervals until done to your liking ... again timing will depend on your oven
- Allow to cool completely on the tray before storing in a glass jar in the fridge where they will sit happily for at least two months (NB: it is really important that they are completely cool before storing, because if they are still warm they will sweat in the sealed container which will cause them to spoil)
- Use as desired